When the MFA class of 2013 graduated I was able to get in the last word, which of course I love. Among other things, I provided a list of 15 items for success as a writer. Actually, if you just read 1 through 14 you will find the 14 things you need to be successful as a human. If you want to be a writer, go on to #15.
So, quickly here is the list which I go on to explain in subsequent blog posts. But for those of us who just want the quick and dirty. Here you go.
- Take your meds
- Try again
- Stick to your guns when you are right.
- Revise When you are wrong
- Have the wisdom to know the difference
- Do not read beauty magazines they will only make you miserable
- You should write too slowly to cater to the culture.
- Don’t sit where you write. Move, stand, wiggle.
- Pay it forward in all things
- Don’t drink so much alcohol.
- Honesty, sincerity and character will always feel better than flash.
- Be kind.
- Say Thank you.
- Go Write Your Book.